Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Tribute To Our Very Own Ruby Jewel

 Our 1st picture with Granny as a wedded couple 
& our last picture with Granny
(not our last visit but our last picture):
     Granny is exactly what she was to all of us.  1st to Nathan but also to me & our kiddos.  She was definitely one of a kind, a rare Jewel.  I 1st met her in our dating days.  I didn't have to grow to love her.  It came automatically.  She opened her heart right up & made room for me.  Her spirit was genuine.  You never had to question her love.  It was evident in her every single word & deed.
     We were blessed to begin our marriage living directly across the dirt lane from her for over 10 years.  We shared land, well water, gardens, meals, & too many hours worth of conversations to count.  She put up our 1st vegetables & gifted us our 1st table.  She was my cooking expert & who we borrowed from.  Her pantry was always stocked & fully loaded.  Whatever I was out of, she always had plenty to spare & happy to help out too!  Instead of going home, we always took our babies straight from the hospital directly to Granny's!  The pictures we have of her holding our newborns always showed her proud smile, especially holding her namesake child~our Marianna Jewel.  She bought us the only high chair our 5 children ever used here in our home.  They have all grown up running over to her house daily, riding bikes in her driveway, picking flowers to gift her, etc.  It has definitely been our pleasure.  We'll never forget her afternoon visits driving over on her golf cart as we would all be out in the yard & garden.  Seeing her in route was always a special treat.  The best memories are of all of us rocking on her porch or sitting around her kitchen table.  She loved visits & we loved soaking up her wisdom.  In all of our time spent with Granny, I have never once heard her say a cross word about anyone or anything.  Her life truly radiated Jesus' love.  
     Ruby Jewel lived 94 years.  Her mind was still good right up 'til the end.  Our last conversation with her was on Friday night before she went to bed & made her crossing the next morning.  Her life was such a blessing.  Words cannot describe her.  She will forever be missed but never forgotten!  Until forever, we will remember her every time I fry salmon patties (her favorite of my cooking) & Nathan bakes pecan pie (her favorite of his).  In fact, we cooked that for lunch in her honor the very Saturday she passed & spoke of her around our table.
     I'd never lost anyone so close to me as Granny was.  Not only was she our Granny but also our friend.  As sad as it has been, I know in my heart that she is in a better place & am thankful she lived such a long life with us here on earth.  My life is all the better for knowing her.  Living beside her & being so close was one of my greatest life experiences thus far!  I am forever grateful!!!  Heaven is looking sweeter to us now!
Image result for when someone you love becomes a memory the memory becomes a treasure

3 comments:

  1. Touching and true..I met Granny over 40 years ago. She is everything you described and more. I remember sitting on her side screen porch often. I had spend the night there many time in one of the front bedrooms, and eat many wonderful meals at her home. I remember sitting under the tree near the screen porch shelling zipper peas by the wheel barrel full. She loved her family and anyone she met. She was a true holiness lady. She will be so missed.

    ReplyDelete