Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Heart Homeschooling!!!

Our School Room


     Homeschooling is a blast!  Guess what?  We even do school work!!!  ;)  Our school room is one of my favorite rooms in the house.  We use the Abeka DVD program.  This curriculum is pretty intense.  Kaley has recently been doing pre-algebra equations at only 9 years old.  I have been blessed thus far with very studious girls.  Even if that were not the case, it allows for as much practice as needed and one on one attention.  We work at our own pace according to our family schedule.  Yes, you may see us in town eating lunch at one of our favorite restaurants, but what you don't see is us testing at 5:00 in the afternoon or finishing up an Animal Science Notebook on Saturday.  This is the beauty of it-flexibility!  By law we are required to finish 180 days of school each year.  We do more than that actually.  We complete all 170 lessons that come with our curriculum plus make a big deal out of holidays and unit studies.  Awesome field trips are also a must!  We are a part of CCCHE, a local home school group, consisting of about 60 families from our area.  We meet once a month and do many activities as a group.  Watching my children learn to read sitting beside me in the recliner brings an indescribable joy to my heart.  I love being with them all during the day and not missing out on that part of their lives.  I couldn't imagine them being gone about 40 hours a week and only being here in the late afternoons.  A friend recommended this video to watch, and it is so funny because it is so true!  It is also sad that people do think this way... 
          

2 comments:

  1. Mia is in her 3rd year with A BEKA also...Dannielle,Tiff, Jenn went all 12 yrs in A BEKA. Love love A BEKA. I love your school room.
    I wish I had a room for school. Hopefully when Uncle Dale builds our garage, we hope to put a room above it for School, crafts, creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I just love you! You are a great mama. That is a funny video but also... so sad people see us as so strange. We just love being moms and teacher!

    much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete